It can be hard to decide on a design that works for all members of your family, not to mention any guests or visitors you may have along the way! A great family bathroom evolves and grows too alongside your family. Therefore, from the beginning of your redecoration process, you need a design that can adapt. All fittings in the family bathroom should be low maintenance and durable. You need the right fittings, fixtures, and finishes — and then your bathroom can truly adapt for a growing family, all of your guests, and your personal needs. We at Columbus Bath Design can help you find a simple design with lots of storage that’s elegant but also durable. We’ll help you create a perfect bathroom for both play-time in the bath with your young ones, and an oasis of peace for you when you want a little peace and quiet.
So how can I create more space for all of the members of my family?
1) How do I choose the right in-built storage for my family’s needs?
We recommend that when designing your bathroom for a family, include a large amount of storage space. Maybe choose a combination unit with plenty of built-in storage. You could also add wall hanging units, corner shelves, storage at the end of the bath or niches in the walls of showers to give you that extra storage where none existed before — keeping your bathroom streamlined and making it feel bigger!
2) How can I use extra storage in an attractive, cohesive way?
Firstly, not all of the possessions we keep in our bathroom actually need to be here. Think about stealing space in other parts of your house — for example, bedrooms, storage cupboards, etc – for anything you don’t definitely need to store in the bathroom. This could include duplicates, medicines or spare towels.
Here are some chicer, tried and tested ways to bring extra storage space to your bathroom:
Multiple hanging bars or racks, with some placed lower down so your kids can reach them. This is also a great way to introduce tidying to your family. If each person knows where everything goes and can access it, they’re more likely to be interested in the tidying process and help you in the future. It’s a win-win! You could think about adding these extra hooks on the inside of the bathroom door, to keep the space feeling uncluttered and minimalist.
Also, think about investing in a stool so that the kids can reach everything they need like the sink, getting into the bath or reaching higher up cabinets. You could get a stool that folds away, but if you’re worried about it not being stable enough, think about creating enough storage in your under-sink cabinet that you can store a stool there.
3) How can the space be organized for all members of the family?
A great way to make your bathroom work for the whole family is to give each member their own area. This leaves the tidying responsibility to them, and wipes out the possibility of anyone fighting over whose towel is theirs! Here are some ways you can divide up your bathroom for all your family members:
- Buy some drawstring bags for your kid’s toys. These could be stored on a suction cup on the wall of the bath, or stored in their room, or on one of their designated hooks. If you’re looking to buy a bag, find one that’s made out of mesh, or a wire basket. This allows your toys to dry off properly.
- Giving your kids a separate toothbrush holder can avoid confusion. If you make their container a fun, child-friendly one, like a cup with their favorite cartoon, they might even find bathroom time more fun and be more willing and excited to brush their teeth!
- Color code your bathroom. Give the generations in your family a separate color or each family member a different color. This will add a splash of color to your bathroom, while still being paired back and minimalist, and will help everyone to remember which items are theirs. This can stop any fights over belongings and make things easier to find for you and all the family. You can also color-code your accessories, like face towels or toothbrushes, with a ribbon. If you’d like to keep your bathroom simplistic and opt for white towels, you could add a color-coded ribbon to these too. White towels, despite what you might think, are also easier to clean — they can always be bleached if they get dirty! You could even color-code your boxes or storage units or wicker bins.
4) How can I make the bathroom more fun for the whole family?
Lots of people might think that replacing a bath with a shower is the perfect way to save space in a family bathroom. But multiple members of the family can have a bath, it’s fun, and can bring everyone together. It also means the house will be easier to re-sell if you’re considering that in the future. If you’re tight on space you could have a shower over the bath for the best of both worlds. Or if you’re working with even less space, think of ways to make the shower more fun, including toys and games for the little ones.
Come and visit us at Columbus Bath Design to find the perfect bathroom to suit all of your needs, or call us on this number: (614) 907-4558.